Things have been really limbo-like lately. While I have a few projects in the works, some stuff has come to a grinding halt. I know it will pass – but for now – this is what’s going on.
First, for the stuff that is moving along:
Saturday, May 1st – Yoga in the Park with Gong accompaniment by Alan Lew! Oh! May 1st! May Day! I will need to make this a special Spring celebration. We are in deep Taurus season now. Oh, definitely cow face pose will be part of the asana selection. Some shoulder and 5th chakra attention. And cows, bulls, were traditionally used for labor – so this even falls in line with International Worker’s Day, too.
10:30 to 11:30 am
James Cullen Park
Coming soon! I have been invited to be in a cohort of International Tarot and Astrology luminaries who will be offering high-end divinatory experiences and discussions. I’m honored to be included amongst talented experts – and am excited for the launch. More to come – for now, you can still book readings through my tarot page.
While recording for the Lofi Sofias has slowed down, we are still moving forward.
Our drummer is moving to Minneaoplis, so we are also now looking for a new drummer. Having been in bands before, I am undaunted. It is the classic Spinal Tap situation, though our lovely Chelsey has not self-imploded, nor has she exploded, she is just exploring a new town.
Rehearsal is happening this week!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Besides a gig last week, and a seriously intense listening session with a friend who had the best sound system I’ve heard in decades, I feel like I have had two weeks off of music. I have not touched my guitar since last Friday.
The world is beginning to open up here, yet, I have had the distinct need to lay low.
Today, Chelsey asked me if I found any clarity in my disappearance. And here is what I am feeling. I have some clarity, but no ideas for action yet.
- Visit new York City for a few months.
Figure out how to make that happen – where to stay, how to make money while I am there.
Set up some projects, make some music, write, make art.
I have plans to hang out with some friends I haven’t seen since I moved out west (15 years!)
Visit parks, art galleries, the Poetry Project, Hunter College
Take dance classes. Get some vocal coaching for my old mentor – Don Lawrence.
- Hang out with people who aren’t doing drugs or alcohol.
- Let go of performing with the Conduits. While it’s fun to jam on the porch or in the living room, public performances with the group are just not that fun for me. I prefer rock-n-roll.
- Music in general feels a little foggy right now. I will practice my guitar today – though I feel like I need a good vacation. As I said – I haven’t touched my guitar since last week – though I learned a Blondie song called Shayla – it’s from the mid-70s and very pretty. Reminds me of my childhood – and New York dreaming.
- Make more art and get back to selling it.
- Make plans for a visit to Los Angeles and San Diego. Reach out to friends there.
- Visit Chelsey in her new city once she gets settled in.
- Mostly I am clear that I am a bit bored and fed up. But isn’t most of the world right now? I know this will pass.
Mostly I am aware I need to shake things up a bit. New shoes are coming – so I can get out in the forest. New bike shoes must be ordered now as well. (It’s so weird I have to wait – but all at once, all my old shoes wore out at the same time. If that isn’t a metaphor …)
There is nothing like a good day in the woods to clear a person’s mind.
Remember swinging on a swing set? Ya know, the big kid’s swing that has a rubber-like strap for the seat attached to two chains? This feeling is like being at the top of the forward swing, butt lifts slightly out of the seat, and there is a pause before it swings the other way. I feel like I am on that pause – I can jump or hang on in just a second – but for now, it’s the slight drop of the stomach and the sky.
April 29, 2021